Today was a Totally Crazy Day

Celebrating Easter at my parent’s house did not go as planned today.

My sister was not able to come, as her youngest child had a fever and croup, and the rest of her family was beginning to feel ill too.

I began my morning at 4:30 a.m. because my son has been teething and not sleeping well.  I tried to get him back to sleep while holding him on the sofa, but he kept trying to roll over and get comfortable.  I try not to let my kids sleep in my bed, but I was desperately tired and thought that if he could lay between my husband and me on the bed and be comfortable, perhaps he would sleep for a couple more hours.  He slept for about forty-five minutes before waking and crying again.  To let my husband sleep, again I took Oscar out to the living room sofa. We both snoozed a little and then my daughter popped up out of nowhere, scaring the shit out of me.  “Go back to bed and sleep, it’s too early,” I tried to tell her, but no, she was wide awake and by that time my son was too.

Needless to say, I got up and made coffee so I would have the energy to keep up with those two.  I had bought donuts as a treat for breakfast at the store the night before, so we ate our donuts in good cheer (getting cheerier as I had my second cup of coffee…)

I baked some salted caramel chocolate chip cookies and made a pasta salad to take with us.  I had thought that we were going to eat lunch, so I had my family leave our house around 11:00 a.m. in order to arrive at my parents’ home by noon.

When we pulled up to my parents’ house I could see my dad outside in his work clothes, looking anxious and worried.  The high school kid that he pays to help him with yard work and other chores was standing around looking uncomfortable too.  I could hear a loud SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH sound.  “What’s wrong?” I asked my dad.

READ  More Ridiculous Things I Have Told My Toddler

“Well, I broke the gas meter.”  What?  “Lucas and I had a rope around a tree that we were pulling down and it fell in a different direction than we were aiming for and broke the meter, so now we are waiting for someone from the gas company to arrive to check it out.”


“Well, you’d better go in the house and tell your mom.  Today of all days for this to happen,” he sighed. “Tell her not to turn anything on.”  Yeah right, I thought, make me the bearer of bad news.  She’s probably in the house freaking out about how much cooking she has to finish before everyone arrives.

When I go inside I see my mom in her nightgown, scrubbing the kitchen floor.  I tell her about the broken gas meter and she wasn’t happy.  “Oh, great, today of all days,” she shook her head.

“Um, I thought we were eating lunch?” I asked her, “Where is everyone?”

“Don’t you remember, I sent you a text message last week saying that we were going to eat supper around 5:00 p.m.?  Your aunts aren’t going to arrive until around 2:00 p.m. at the earliest,” she said.  “OK, I’m going to go take a bath.”

So, wondering if we should we go in the house and risk getting blown up or not, my husband and I parked our car on the other side of the block and decided to take the kids on a walk.  Hey, I don’t need my only working car to get blown up!  We walked around the yard and admired grandma’s pretty flowers.


The weather was a sunny and beautiful 75°F with no wind, a perfect day to spend outside.  We walked a block down the street and I show my daughter where I used to go to school and where my grandparents lived across the street from the old school.  Unbelievably, I could still hear the gas leak quite loudly over there.


Finally, we make our way back to my parents’ house and I asked my mom for the keys to a building that my dad owns down the street.  He has a billiards table and stuff down there so I thought we could grab some snacks and toys, seeing as how we weren’t going to eat lunch anytime soon and take the kids to go hang out down there until the energy company showed up to repair the leak.

READ  A Couple of Doodles and Real Life Experiences

After we ate some bananas, cheese and crackers, and apple sauce (I didn’t have time to grab that much stuff to eat from the house… call me a chicken but I really didn’t want to get blown up) the kids ran around and played with dinosaurs for a while. Oscar fell asleep on my lap so I held him awkwardly perched on a very uncomfortable folding chair.  My husband walked my daughter to the park to play while my son slept.

After a while, my mom sent me a text message saying that the gas was turned off but they were trying to fix the meter and make sure there was no leak.  When my husband and daughter returned I cleaned up our mess, locked up, and returned home.  It still took another two hours or so before everything was fixed and the gas was turned back on.  I felt sorry for my dad because he had been hot and sweaty from mowing and yard work and then all the stuff with the meter happened, and he never even had a chance to eat lunch.

Grandma gave the kids their Easter baskets and then we went outside to search for eggs.  After the eggs were all found the kids emptied the plastic eggs and had a ton of candy.  They searched for the eggs a couple more times and then I helped my mom in the kitchen while the kids played.


My aunt Hope’s family arrived around 3:30 p.m. and my kids were excited to have some other kids to play with.  More eggs were hidden outside and then more chocolate appeared.  My aunt Lisa and her boys arrived around 4:15 p.m. and the two teenage boys were tasked with hiding the Easter eggs again for the two oldest little kids to find.  I’m not sure how many time they hid and found the eggs, but it was over a period of about an hour and a half.

READ  10 Free Places to Visit as a Family

We ate around 5:30 p.m. and had so much food: barbeque meatballs, little smokies, corn, ham, scalloped potatoes, pasta salad, ambrosia salad, frog eye salad, bread rolls… I was quite stuffed.  And then they brought out dessert: banana cream pie topped with meringue, raisin cream pie topped with meringue, chocolate no-bake cookies, the cookies I had baked, and a strawberry layered confection.  There was enough food to feed an army.

The kids were sufficiently sugared up to search for eggs outside at least another five times before we finally had all of the dishes washed, leftovers packed up, Easter baskets and other things stuffed in the car.  We said goodbye to everyone and drove home.

It was nice to spend time with my family, and definitely nice that my parents’ home didn’t explode and no one was hurt. I would say it was probably the most unique Easter celebration we’ve ever had.

Now on to bed so we can celebrate Easter with lunch at my husband’s parents’ house tomorrow.  I hope it won’t be quite as eventful!  Good night.

Happy Easter to you and your family!








Leave a Reply - I would love to hear from you!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.